Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Blog 9 (HW 2)
    
     Wow, first off I cannot believe that I finished the Garcia Girls, it seemed like it took so long.  Now, as far as a message that I got out of How The Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents I learned the importance of being a tight-knit family.  There was clearly tension within the family because of the split cultures in the household in regards to the dad, Carlos, and the daughters.  From reading about Sophia's rift with her father I learned a thing or two about how to approach a son or daughter.  It is obvious that Sophia was being a bit radical but Carlos decided to chastise her and that caused a major strain in their relationship for many years.  From that I picked up that in no circumstance should I try and cut off my child because it simple does not do any good for either party.  Also to add to some poor parenting the Garcia Girl's parents checked the girls into a mental hospitals.  They did this on a bit of a whim and the decisions were rushed.  This showed a clear disconnect between parents and children. That theme was common in the book.  The decisions made by the parents have taught me to be more rational and to think things through a little more.  I cannot as a parent later on just make rash decisions in the heat of the moment or my family may come unglued.  The shortcomings of the whole Garcia family was a moment of clarity for my future self.  I realize that there will be difficulty in my adult life and within my family, but I know for certain there are mistakes that I will not make because of reading about the decisions by parents that brought a bit of a doom on the Garcia family in the book.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cody, what nice clear-cut response. I agree with you. Family is the most important thing in life. It is important to remember that family is always first no matter what. They might have had their hiccups but it all seemed to work out. I definitely think that the parents Laura and Carlos should have taken more charge of their daughters. They have gotten into a lot of shannanigans, or however you spell that word.

    ReplyDelete