Blog 8
In March normally it is college basketball taking center stage, followed by the NBA, and then baseball. Well, I want to bring up a sport that does not get much run in America any time of the year and that is soccer. I'm not going to talk MLS, but rather English Premier League. The EPL is winding down with only a hand full of fixtures left to be played and a couple great races are playing out. The championship race between Man City and Man United has all the makings of a classic. It is the cross town rivalry between the richest club and the proven elite power. I believe that it is City who in the end will cap off their first EPL championship in the modern era. City is too talented to possibly let this year slip away. They are currently one point under United, but still with a favorable schedule I believe City gets it done. The next race I am really most looking forward to is the relegation scrap. It appears that this season that there are four teams in danger of headed down to the championship division (Blackburn seems to be safe after a huge win at Sunderland). Last year the final day of the season was pure drama, five different teams were in the relegation zone in the span of just two hours. My favorite club Wigan Athletic beat the drop last year and stayed in the premiership with a thrilling 3-2 win, followed by a 1-0 win at Stoke City to ensure safety. This year it looks bleak for the Wigan squad, but I still have hope. The EPL brings me a large deal of excitement every Saturday morning and should really be recognized by most Americans. These guys are good and they make soccer fun to watch.
To read more on the EPL and its races go to:
Cody this is a huge change in what I thought you would be writing about when you mentioned sports in the first sentence. I thought you would go into detail about all the March Madness teams and how a teams going to do but you switched to soccer. I had no idea you liked EPL. I think it's excellent that soccer is becoming a more popular sport in America. Ever since the founding season of the Philadelphia Union I have also had an interest in professional soccer. The EPL is a lot of fun to follow and watch.
ReplyDelete