Thursday, February 9, 2012


Blog Response 3: Gender

 An age old controversial topic in America is the roles of men and women.  Roles have changed since the 17 and 18 hundreds, especially now in as I reflect on it in 2012.  Women now are prominent in the work force as opposed to the past where they were generally non factors.  Now there are different expectations for men and women.  Women are generally expected cook, nag, and also work less physically demanding jobs.  Men are known for working the dangerous jobs and doing the "dirty" work. Women are perceived in America as the child bearers and are know for being a little more mature,  but also emotionally unstable.  Men can be perceived by people as the gender that makes stupid and rash decisions.  They can also be known for their love of sports especially football. The advantages of being a women today would probably be the education aspect.  More and more women are getting accepted into colleges and starting/owning businesses.  There are now a greater percentage of women in colleges than men.  Advantages of being a man include having a more important sports world.  All men's games trump women's sports, in attendance and excitement.  Stereotypes for women are that they cannot drive, they all clean, and they all cook for the family.  Men stereotypes include: they are hot heads, they only want to watch sports,  and all they do is drink beer to have a good time.  Now, I am sure I have used stereotypes in my life in relation to gender, but that is truly because that these are the real perceptions of America and its people. 


In regards to the question about watching the Canadian Football League if you knew you were going to be the biggest fanatic about it in your future, I believe Sofia from How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents would not watch the game. Sofia is unlikely to be a football fan.  She is one, from the Dominican Republic where football is not prominent, and two, she is too interested in guys right now.  She would rather go off to Germany or wherever to be with a guy and live her life in rebellion of her father. It is an easy no for Sophia regarding the CFL.





3 comments:

  1. Cody you have such a way with words, I like how you introduced the topic in your blog. You are 100% right about men having a more important sports world. Mens' sports out-do all womens' sports and they get so many more fans than women do. Your stereotypes of women were along the lines of what I said about cleaning and cooking, which a lot of people probably said too. I also like how you brought back the CFL question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you started off your blog as if it were an essay or somewhere that you might need a hook. This actually worked pretty well and made me want to see the opinion being given here. There are a lot of stereotypes you throw at the readers in this article. I would say that lots of them are just that, stereotypes. I think that it was funny when you mentioned that men's sports were better than women's. Although it is a stereotype, there are many that believe this still. i like how you brought the end of your opinion back to the American culture and how they view things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cody, I am actually surprised in your response. Actually no, I lied. I had a feeling that you would bring up some of your harsh stereotypes that you have about women. On the brighter side, I liked that you have mentioned the truth about how women are starting to do their part in the work force. It almost seems as if women are almost dominating over men in business these days. I have to disagree with your statement regarding driving. In fact, men have to pay more for car insurance because it is a proven fact that they get more accidents than women. So you may want to overlook that comment, thanks.

    ReplyDelete